Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Week 19: Not much to do

Over the weekend Craig washed all of the carpets. I vacuumed before hand, but he did most of the work. The carpets look so nice now though!

During his cleaning spree, I sat on the bed with our kitty and researched schooling that would make a difference in our life. I looked at Ultrasound Technician/Sonograher and Radiology/X-ray Technician but the schools that are accredited (and you can't get a job otherwise) are far away. The closest, an hour and a half. near San Francisco. Plus the schooling for just 2 years is extremely high. The pay is decent, but not worth the gas and time in just transportation.

So I moved on to nursing, finding all of the accredited schools through the California Board of Nursing website. I looked at the degrees and the different nursing certifications and their benefits. I wasn't too sure, but I did more research throughout the week.

I found out that the schooling down here is sooooo cheap ($26 per unit/credit for residents... it was at least $75 in WA when I went 4 years ago). I also found that the pre-requisites for the Associate of Science in Nursing as it is for the Bachelors of Science in Nursing. AND... the 2 years it takes to complete the Associates is the same as Bachelor's programs down here. so 3-1/2 years of schooling for Associates and 3-1/2 years for Bachelors. I noticed that the ASN is much less intense as the BSN though. So I looked at the benefits of them both.

The ASN is easier because of the intensity level being lower, you still get the opportunity to do take the test to get licensed. But the ASN, as easy as it is, it's on a lottery system if you're accepted in.

The BSN is tough. Tough to get in to, tough to be in, but it's an application process, not a lottery. You need to have at least a C to get in, which is doable, but the average is a 3.75 GPA. This also gives you an opportunity to sit for the licensing test. RNs with a BSN degree get paid a little better then an ASN. They get promotions quicker and have the opportunity to get in to management positions. And get in to positions an ASN can't get in to without working years to get there, which I won't be able to do.

I don't want to end my photography, I really like that, so I'm continuing as much as I can. Plus, if I go to school, I might be able to get more photo shoots!

No comments:

Post a Comment